Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Civics 101 and democracy

I think we walked away from Civics learning different lessons.
There is no more important aspect of democracy than the minority accepting the will of the majority.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. These are not trivial matters we are discussing. This is not a case of the Philadelphia Phillies potentially losing and saying "Oh well, it wasn't our year. Maybe next year!" Our rights are being put up to a vote. And if the "will of the majority" gets me in its sights, I'll be damned if I'm "accepting" it.
What it means is that where what he proposes to do is reasonable and doesn’t conflict with our principles, he should expect our support.

I can guarantee you that every single action he will take will be in conflict with my principles, with the possible exception of ending the prosecution of terminally ill patients who toke up occasionally. (I realize that there are some who will think this is not enough of an end to the Drug War, and I do agree with their point; I'm being generous here).

Equally laughable from the comments (#3):
Good column Rick. It never ceases to amaze me how the lemmings are so willing to jump off the cliff.

And to think I used to believe that liberals had no sense of irony.

No comments: